I am 26. I was born in 1987. I recently read that the average age for childbearing is now younger than the average age for marriage, and by the age of 25, 44% of women have had a baby, and 38% have been married. I do not have a child and I am not married. And I am perfectly okay with that. I am 26 and happy.
I am putting together a list of things that people should do before they have a baby or get married… Before the Facebook status goes from ‘its complicated’ to ‘married to so-and-so’ and before my entire news feed gets bombarded with your baby pictures. We get it, you’re happy. But so am I. So, you ask.. What makes you so happy? I am not saying my list are the exact reasons I am happy- but everyone should do this.. just once and live a little for yourself before you have to stop being selfish, and start caring for another human being – baby or husband/wife. Here it goes.
2. Have your heart broken.
3. Get caught doing something bad. Like stealing. Not drugs.
4. Donate your hair.
5. Kiss a stranger.
6. Get your degree.
7. Let someone else do your taxes.
8. Get a tattoo. And while you’re add it, get a piercing. Maybe not at the same time, but just do it.
9. Let your 4-year old niece put makeup on you
10. Try CrossFit
11. Get a puppy. It can only prepare you for kids.
12. Call your parents, and tell them that you love them.
13. Shoot a gun.
14. Run a half marathon.
15. Start a 401K.
16. Laugh out loud in the car by yourself.
17. Throw up from a long night of drinking.
18. Etch your initials in a tree.
19. Build a sand castle.
20. Sleep naked.
21. Leave your phone in the car when you are out at dinner.
22. Start a blog.
23. Hand write a letter to someone. And mail it.
25. Read a book. And not only because you saw a movie preview of it. Read it before you have any idea what a character will look like on the big screen.
26. And finally.. Love yourself.